Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very filling and satisfying soup.
Make and share this Vegetarian Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large yukon gold potato, diced
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed in a bowl with their juices
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat; add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leek, potato and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for about10 minutes.
- Stir in half of the parsley, tomatoes, and barley; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock and increase heat to bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, as needed.
- Stir in peas, simmer 5 minutes more.
- Ladle into serving bowls; garnish with Parmesan and remaining parsley.