Recipe by Pa. Hiker
Eastern Orthodox fasting is very strict, close to a vegan lifestyle. One of the things I miss are pancakes, so I came up with a non-dairy pancake - they're delicious, fast, and easy to make.
Top Review by Mrs Majors
These tasted great but I couldn't get them to cook up like "regular" pancakes. The insides stayed gooey. My kids wouldn't touch them. I was so disappointed too because they were so healthy!?
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the mashed banana and water.
- Add dry ingredients and mix, leaving lumps in the batter - you must leave lumps in the batter.
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter into a hot, lightly oiled frying pan.
- When bubbles rise through the middle of the pancake and break on the top, flip the pancake and cook until browned underneath.
- (Note: Test the pan before cooking the pancakes by throwing a few drops of water onto it. If the water jumps around and then disappears, the pan is at the correct temperature.).