Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This is another vegetarian adaptation of a Kraft Food and Family recipe. This recipe is nice because it is quick and easy.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This is yummy and kids (and hubbies;) ) REALLY like it! I should mention that I used 1 lb of ground turkey in place of the soy crumbles. I browned the meat with onion, drained it and proceded with the recipe as written. The low fat sour cream gives the macaroni a nice creaminess that seemed to prevent it from drying out during baking. The salsa on top gives a nice kick. I probably used more than i cup....I just finished up whatever was left in my jar. I would make this again and even maybe use the soy crumbles as written. Thanx for posting this easy, yummy recipe!
- 1 (14 ounce) package macaroni and cheese mix (family size)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1 (12 ounce) box soy crumbles (Boca or Morningstar)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup medium salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. (I use skim milk).
- Add the soy crumbles to a medium skillet sprayed with non stick spray.
- Over medium heat sauté for 2-3 minutes until thawed and brown.
- Add water and taco seasoning, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the low fat sour cream to the prepared macaroni and cheese.
- Spoon half of the noodles into a baking dish.
- Add the seasoned soy crumble mixture and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Top casserole with the remaining noodles.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, and top with salsa and remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.