Good served with: stewed tomatoes and corn bread.
Make and share this Vegetarian Baked Stuffed Red Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice (preferably brown)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large sweet peppers (preferably red)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups boiling salted water for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Drain if necessary.
- Set aside. Cut peppers in half.
- Remove seeds and white membrane. Parboil peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Arrange in slightly oiled, shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in small skillet. Add onion, celery, and sunflower seeds.
- Saute until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir into rice. Add parsley, eggs, oregano, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste. Fill peppers with mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Put about 1/3 cup hot water in bottom of dish.
- (I use the water used to parboil the peppers.) Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes.