Good served with: stewed tomatoes and corn bread.
Make and share this Vegetarian Baked Stuffed Red Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice (preferably brown)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large sweet peppers (preferably red)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups boiling salted water for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Drain if necessary.
- Set aside. Cut peppers in half.
- Remove seeds and white membrane. Parboil peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Arrange in slightly oiled, shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in small skillet. Add onion, celery, and sunflower seeds.
- Saute until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir into rice. Add parsley, eggs, oregano, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste. Fill peppers with mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Put about 1/3 cup hot water in bottom of dish.
- (I use the water used to parboil the peppers.) Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes.
Well, the stuffing was good but there was not enough of it. I used 3 pepper, two large and one smaller. I needed more stuffing. I think 2 large peppers would be better (4 halves). Also agree that maybe some tomatoe sauce would be yummy with this. It was good.
Made this for my daughter and she loved it. I dissolved a veggie bouillon cube in the rice cooking water for more flavor. Added two cooked diced carrots and some Braggs Aminos. This is a good recipe to mix in leftover cooked vegetables and use up what you have on hand. Almost any vegetable would be good.