Recipe by FrVanilla
''Baked Polenta Pie is similar to lasagna, but instead of noodles, you get a thick layer of creamy polenta as the base. I layered the pie with roasted vegetables, tomato sauce, and of course loads and loads of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. You bake the pie until bubbly and do your best to not burn your tongue when it comes out of the oven. Your house will smell so delicious you won’t want to wait to dive in.'' Two Peas and Their Pod
Top Review by Elmotoo
Fabulous! I only wonder if it would be better if the polenta was firmer - more like a crust? I assembled this in my 9x13 pan & it fit perfectly. I salt my veggies after they come out of the oven. Absolutely delicious! And it's easy to make the sauce & polenta while the veggies are in the oven. A nice potluck dish. Made for Veggie Tag 4/12.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch of coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped
- 1⁄2 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- drizzle olive oil
- salt and pepper, to season vegetables
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, fennel seed, basil, oregano, and red pepper. Season with salt and black pepper and let simmer for about 30 minutes over low heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, roast the vegetables. Place zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, and red pepper on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. When the vegetables are done roasting, set aside to cool and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot, bring the milk, butter, sugar and salt to a light simmer. Slowly add the polenta to the pot, whisking constantly. Once it starts to thicken, trade the whisk out for a spoon and stir until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pot. Add half of the Parmesan cheese to the polenta and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with the other half of the parmesan.
- Evenly spread the roasted vegetables on top of the polenta. Spread the tomato sauce over the vegetables and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.