Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful spring appetizer for a Vegetarian Dinner Party. I then serve Galette with Tomato sauce, Mushroom Salad in Tofu, Avocado and Kiwi Salad and for dessert Black-currant Yogurt Ice Cream and a Cheese Board with Oatcakes.
- 4 artichokes, globes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, grated peel
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Wash the artichokes thoroughly.
- Remove the stalks and trim the bases so that the artichokes will sit flat.
- Trim the points off the leaves with scissors.
- Bring a large kettle of water to the boil and cook the artichokes, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until a leaf pulls out easily.
- Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, over gentle heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the boiling water, stirring vigorously, and as soon as the mixture is smooth, beat in the remaining butter.
- Stir in the lemon juice, grated lemon rind and garlic.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm, stirring from time to time, over every low heat.
- Drain the artichokes as soon as they are cooked and arrange them on a serving dish or on individual plates.
- Pour the sauce into a heated gravy boat and sprinkle it with chives.