Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This reminded me of American Chop Suey (an old '60s comfort food recipe which I used to make in a skillet on the stove) but healthier and made in a crockpot. I thought a chopped green pepper or sliced mushrooms may be great additions to this recipe. Adapted from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen vegetarian veggie crumbles
- 1 -2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 8 ounces pasta (I used bow ties, but any macaroni-type of pasta will work)
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a skillet over medium heat heat oil and then add onion, cooking until softened. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so. Although I didn't use them I thought a green pepper and/or mushrooms would be great to add to the skillet.
- Transfer onion mixture to the crockpot.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients (tomatoes - pepper) and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours.
- Stir in pasta, cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in basil and sprinkle with cheese.
It surely rates as comfort and I love that it's veggie!. I cut the recipe amount in half and thats 2 mighty hefty servings, I had a bout 1/4 of it and found that satisfying. Took ellie's suggestion and added some green pepper an that was a good addition. The amounts are right on mark. It says 1/2-1 cup hot water and I used the full cup, good thing too as the 4 ounces of macaroni took it all. Think I'll add some salsa next time or maybe chili powder :D.