Recipe by ellie_
This reminded me of American Chop Suey (an old '60s comfort food recipe which I used to make in a skillet on the stove) but healthier and made in a crockpot. I thought a chopped green pepper or sliced mushrooms may be great additions to this recipe. Adapted from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
Top Review by Annacia
It surely rates as comfort and I love that it's veggie!. I cut the recipe amount in half and thats 2 mighty hefty servings, I had a bout 1/4 of it and found that satisfying. Took ellie's suggestion and added some green pepper an that was a good addition. The amounts are right on mark. It says 1/2-1 cup hot water and I used the full cup, good thing too as the 4 ounces of macaroni took it all. Think I'll add some salsa next time or maybe chili powder :D.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen vegetarian veggie crumbles
- 1 -2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 8 ounces pasta (I used bow ties, but any macaroni-type of pasta will work)
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium heat heat oil and then add onion, cooking until softened. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so. Although I didn't use them I thought a green pepper and/or mushrooms would be great to add to the skillet.
- Transfer onion mixture to the crockpot.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients (tomatoes - pepper) and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours.
- Stir in pasta, cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in basil and sprinkle with cheese.