Recipe by alvinakatz
This is a vegetarian version of a traditional Albanian dish. It makes a tasty side and is delicious served with yogurt, which is commonly eaten in Albanian meals. You can use any mushrooms you want, but the stronger tasting ones are better. Spice to taste, I like more red pepper than the Albanians probably do. Adapted from 20 Albanian Recipes and submitted for My Food Odyssey.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Wow, what a great recipe. I made as written, except that I took it out of the oven after 30 minutes. I feared that the leeks and mushrooms would completely melt down. The flavours are absolutely divine. Served with Recipe #362056 and Recipe #499776. What a great dinner we all had.
- 2 large leeks
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 teaspoon mushroom broth, powder
- 1⁄3 cup water
- mild red pepper powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut on a slant into 1-inch thick slices the whites and pale green of the leeks.
- Saute leeks in a little oil and place in a baking pan.
- Chop onions and mushrooms coarsely.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in remaining oil.
- Add broth powder, water, tomato sauce, red pepper, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. If your mushrooms are not very watery, add a little more water and broth.
- Pour onion/mushroom mixture over the leeks.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Serve hot.