- 6 flour tortillas or 6 chapati
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut up into chunks (can use leftover mashed potatoes at room temperature)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, sliced thinly and lightly sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes, or if using mashed potatoes proceed with recipe as follows:.
- In large bowl combine the cooked potatoes, scallions, leek, cilantro and spices. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well but do not overmix.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the tortillas. Fold tortillas in half. Flatten with a spatula or your hand.
- *In large frying pan heat oil on medium and fry the turnovers until golden, flattening turnovers slightly with spatula. Flip over and cook turnovers on other side until golden.
- Drain on paper towel. Transfer turnovers to serving platter. Serve hot. Boulanee make great picnic food as they travel well and don't require refrigeration.
- *NOTE: Boulanee can also be baked by lightly brushing the turnovers on both sides with oil and baking for about 15-20 at 350 degrees.