Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I wasn't willing to trust the bean soup seasoning packet to be vegetarian so this is the seasonings I came up with. I'm a "pinch here, pinch there" cook so you may need to adjust the seasonings to your taste. When cooking the beans, make sure they are tender before adding any acidic ingredients like tomatoes or lemon juice.
- 1 7⁄8 lbs 15 bean soup mix (I use Bob's Red Mill 13 bean soup mix, 29 oz bag)
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- Soak beans overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook beans in water until just tender by simmering on the stove in 2 qts. water for 1 1/2 hours. (Can also cook in slower cooker or pressure cooker.).
- Shortly before the beans are done, saute onion and garlic in oil until slightly brown.
- When beans are done, drain half the cooking water.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread or popovers.
This soup is sooooooo very tasty, I used everything that was in the recipe and its wonderful!Its such a very healthy recipe too, so much so that I have given it to a friend who runs a 'Slimming World' and she has had rave reviews!
I work in an English tearooms, in the north east of england underneath an ancient Monument called Penshaw Monument and I am busy cooking the soup to take into the tearooms to try it out on our menu, as the sample i took in really wowed the boss and my co-workers, so watch this space!
Spicy and Good! I used canned beans that I had on hand so I had 5 bean soup. Perfect soup for a cold day!
I hate beans, but I really genuinely loved this soup. I've given the recipe to many of my friends for meatless Monday :)