Recipe by Samuel Holden
A perfect starter or a good light lunch... I make this for special occasions and dinner parties.
- 4 parmesan crackers (see my other recipe)
- 8 pieces fresh green asparagus
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 small courgette
- 1 head broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup double cream
- butter (for frying)
- oil (for frying)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- ------Pesto sauce---------.
- Lightly toast pine nuts.
- In a food processor (or with a pestle and mortar), mix the basil, pine nuts and cheese into a paste.
- Add oil and blend to a smooth paste.
- Keep in an airtight jar in the fridge.
- Bake the potatoes until they are soft, let them cool and split them in half.
- Sprinkle a little salt and Cayenne pepper onto the potatoes and using a knife put small"slits" into them.
- Using a steamer, cook the broccoli and the asparagus for no more than 3 minutes on a very high heat, they must be crisp, not mushy.
- Place in an oiled oven dish on a low heat to keep warm.
- Using a large skillet, heat butter and oil and fry the potatoes until slightly crispy on the flat side. Set them aside.
- Add more butter if necessary and fry circles of aubergine and the Courgette until cooked but crisp.
- Place in the oven dish.
- Now fry the asparagus, coat with butter and oil thats in the pan, don't let it cook too much or they will loose the crunch.
- Add broccoli and toss in the butter.
- Set aside in the oven dish Add cherry tomatoes and"caramelize".
- Warm plates.
- Set up as follows:Take Parmesan thins and place to one side of plate.
- Put asparagus fanning out from the parmesan, with a cherry tomatoe between each piece.
- Arrange other ingredients as is convenient.
- Heat up some double cream and add 4 Tbsp pesto.
- Drizzle over the vegetables.
- Accompany with a chilled white wine and serve "Mushroom Puffs" as the main course.