Recipe by Latchy
This is a good healthy soup. It takes time, but is worth it. It is based on a Womens Weekly recipe.
Top Review by Rita~
A feel good soup.I did used chicken stock that I had made and frozen earlier. I found this a bit salty so I suggest to cut back on the soy which I did and still found it salty! But it did taste good! Nice for a windy Autumn Day!
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken bones
- 5 liters water
- 2 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks trimmed celery, chopped coarsely
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped coarsely
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 65 g white miso
- 50 g ginger, sliced thinly
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 600 g fresh udon noodles
- 1 large carrot, sliced finely extra
- 4 green onions, sliced finely
- 2 sheets toasted nori, sliced finely
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bones, the water, carrot, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and brown onion in large saucepan, bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered 2 hours.
- Strain through muslin lined strainer into large bowl.
- Reserve stock, discard bones and veges.
- Meanwhile place mushrooms in medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water.
- Stand about 20 minutes or until just tender; drain.
- Discard stems, slice caps thinly.
- Bring stock to boil.
- Add miso, ginger and sauce, simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in noodles and mushrooms; simmer uncovered until noodles are just tender.
- Stir in extra carrot and green onion; sprinkle with nori.