Recipe by grandma2969
this is best served with crostini or tasted croutons..we like to garnish it with freshly grated parmesan cheese..
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 (14 1/8 ounce) cansdiced Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
Directions See How It's Made
- saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic in olive oil till tender --
- add beans, broth, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and thyme.
- Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- to serve, place a slice of crostini in each bowl and ladle soup into bowl.sprinkle with freshy grated parmesan cheese --
- to prepare CROSTINI:.
- combine first 3 ingredients, brush on one side of each slice of bread,,,.
- arrange bread on a baking sheet coated side up.
- bake at 375* for 15 minutes until lightly toasted.