Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this on Hungry Monster and thought it looked good, especially with some hot, buttered pasta. Let's try it together.
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more)
- 2 cups Italian-style tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Sauté garlic, zucchini and eggplant for two 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water, cover skillet and cook 3-4 minutes until almost tender.
- Stir in herbs, red pepper flakes,tomato and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except breadcrumbs, in a mixing bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange half the cooked vegetables in the bottom of a shallow oiled baking pan.
- Top with a layer of half the cheese mixture.
- Repeat with remaining vegetables and cheese.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake 35 minutes.
Oooh, so good! The man and I both enjoyed this very much. I did double the amount of the ricotta layers,because I had bought a pint and knew I wouldn't be using the rest in anything else, and besides you can never have enough cheese :). Because I doubled that I also doubled the egg, parmesan and parsley. I layered everything in a casserole dish and baked it according to the directions. It makes quite a lot but it was well worth leftover, actually, I think I even liked the reheated leftovers better! Thanks Geema!