Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Quick and easy and definitely better than just boiled veggies! The chillies in it give it a decided character. Great as a side dish to the main course.
- 3⁄4 cup French beans, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup green peas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut the French beans and carrots into long strips.
- Put the French beans, carrots and green peas in a shallow dish, sprinkle 5 to 6 tablespoons of water and microwave on HIGH for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Mix the cream, flour, milk and tomato ketchup.
- Put the butter in a glass bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 15 seconds.
- Add the onion and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute 30 seconds or till light pink in colour.
- Add the tomato, vegetables, prepared sauce, chilli powder and salt and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes, stirring once in-between after 2 minutes.
- *Variation:Corn and Peas in Creamy Sauce.
- Use 1 1/2 cups of fresh/frozen tender corn instead of French beans and carrots.
I made this for dinner tonight. I substituted the fresh cream with low-fat plain yogurt and the butter with cooking oil. I'm sorry, it didnt turn out as I'd expected. I cooked it in the microwave on HIGH for 18-20 minutes more than the stated time , i.e., after step 6. The French beans were still uncooked. The carrots were about 3/4th cooked. The red chilli powder did give it some taste, but, on the whole, the dish left alot desired... May I suggest to boil the French beans and carrots separately on the stove until they are 3/4th cooked, before tossing them into the dish - i.e., step 2. Also, I'd use a whole cup of yogurt in future instead of just 1/2 cup. This is a nice dish, just requires that the French beans be cooked completely before serving it.