Recipe from 'Marvellous Meals with mince' caption at beginning of chapter 'Some hae meat an' canna' eat, An' some hae nane that want it, But we hae meat an' we can eat, An' so the Lord be thankit!' - People find this dish intriguing. It is rather like a pie with a crust made of meat instead of pastry The mixture of vegetables, similar to ratatouille, is encased in minced pork flavoured with tomato, garlic, mustard and rosemary and combined with wholemeal flour. I serve it with fried potatoes and a simple green salad - Oven temperature Gas mark 3/325F/170C
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make the vegetable filling first. De-seed the peppers and peel the onion. Chop both up roughly., Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, drain and skin them. Chop the tomatoes and the mushrooms up roughly. Preheat the oven.
- 2Heat the olive oil and butter in a large heavy frying pan. Add the chopped peppers and onion and dry gently, stirring quite a bit until softened. Then add the chopped tomatoes and mushrooms and cook for only a minute more. Season with salt and black pepper, remove from the heat and let the mixture cool in yhe pan while you prepare the meat case.
- 3To make the pork case, put all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, season well with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon, Flour a board and lightly butter a 21 cm flan dish. With well-floured hands gather the meat mixture into a ball. Take just under two-thirds of it and press it out with your floured hands on to the board in a circular shape bigger than the flan dish. Line the flan dish with it, pushing it up the sides so that it extends slightly over the rim and spoon in the vegetable filling.
- 4Now make another flat circle with the remaining meat mixture, moisten the edges with little water and put it on top, press down the edge so that it overlaps a bit, as the meat will shrink slightly while cooking. brush a little olive oil over the top. Bake the dish in the centre of the oven on a baking sheet for 1 hour. To serve just cut in slices, as with a pie.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetables in a Pork Case
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.9
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 117.4 mg
- Sodium 98.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 22.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: