Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup is a "somewhat Minestrone" its easy, elegant and very tasty and goes a long way - made this for the office and it was gone in minutes....try it let me know what you think
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced adjust to taste)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 12 cups chicken stock (I used turkey) or 12 cups turkey stock (I used turkey) or 12 cups beef stock (I used turkey)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cannellini beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups red kidney beans
- 2 cups pasta (small shells uncooked)
- The key is a flavorful stock - refer to my stock recipes for tips if needed - store bought may be resorted to and my tip would be low sodium - low fat - College Inn or Swansons.
- In a large soup pot add 1 tbsp olive oil - add the first 4 ingredients and saute till onions are clear. Add mushrooms and add salt and pepper to taste. Add bay leaves, herbs, stock and simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, including shells cook for 10-15 minutes (add a cup or two of water if you think the soup is to thick - the shells do take up some moisture as they are cooked into the soup) and remove from heat - serve with a slice of crusty bread and some fresh grated parmesan cheese.
We loved it! I made it in two stages, getting DH to do the prep down to Step 2, and then when I came home we completed Step 3! What a tasty and nutritious soup! I omitted the mushrooms since I don't much care for them, but otherwise as directed. I used vegetable stock cubes, herb and garlic flavour, so our soup was full of flavour! I used 'fresh' stroe bought pasta tricolore shells, so they cooked very very quickly, maybe in ten minutes, and broke up a bit, but nonetheless good in this colourful soup! Served with SarahBeths Recipe #382685, this was a delicious supper! Thanks, Ravenseyes!