Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here's a recipe, borrowed from the Greeks, that offers a marvelous way to bring out the goodness and tang of fresh vegetables. They're simmered until just crisp-tender in an herb/wine/lemon juice marinade. The result is wonderfully savory, as well as healthful. Carrots, mushrooms, green beans, leeks and zucchini, artfully arranged on a platter, make a dish both pretty and tasty. Served hot, it will complement any meal. Served cold, it's a pleasant appetizer.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans
- 3⁄4 lb fresh carrot (about 4 large carrots)
- 3 leeks
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin greek olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare vegetables: In colander, under cold running water, wash green beans; drain well. Cut off ends, leaving beans whole. Set aside. Wash and pare carrots; with sharp knife, cut crosswise into 4-inch pieces; then slice lengthwise into strips 1/2-inch wide.
- Trim root ends of leeks; cut off tops, leaving 1 to 3 inches of green stem; discard tops. With sharp knife, cut in half lengthwise. Wash under cold running water to remove any sand. Wipe mushrooms with damp paper towels; trim the stem ends; cut in half lengthwise.
- Wash zucchini; trim ends; cut into 3-inch pieces; then slice into strips 1/2-inch wide.
- Prepare cooking liquid: In large 10-inch skillet, combine water, wine, lemon juice, olive oil, green onion, salt, peppercorns, thyme and parsley sprigs. Over medium heat, bring to boiling. Add the leeks; simmer, covered, until tender - about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove leeks to shallow dish. Return liquid to boiling. Add carrots; simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until tender. With slotted spoon, remove to the shallow dish. Return liquid to boiling.
- Add green beans; simmer, covered, 7 minutes, or until tender. With slotted spoon, remove beans to shallow dish. Return liquid to boiling. Add zucchini; simmer, covered, 5 minutes, or until tender. With slotted spoon, remove to the shallow dish. Return liquid to boiling.
- Add mushrooms; simmer, covered, 5 minutes, or until tender. With slotted spoon, remove to dish. Arrange vegetables in serving dish.
- Reduce liquid to 2/3 cup; spoon over vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot as side dish or chilled as appetizer.
This was a wonderful tasting dish, and a great way to get some vegetables into a BBQ feast! I think the carrots were my favorite, beautiful orange and still crisp textured after cooking. The beans I wasn't so thrilled with- they turned grey as they cooled and though they tasted great they were really unappealing to look at. The only other suggestion I'd make is to maybe add a bit of chile flakes into the liquid for a bite of heat. Made for ZWT9
sorry we found this kind of boring, they needed flabvor