Recipe by Ilysse
The original recipe calls for the endive so that is what I posted but I have used broccoli, escarole, radicchio, broccoli rabe and fennel with wonderful results. I have found that some veggies like the broccoli and fennel benifit from being blanched for a few minutes b4 using in this dish. Most softer veggies and greens do not need this pre-treatment. Use your best judgment.
- 4 heads Belgian endive
- 2 cups bechamel sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, approximately
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 365°F.
- Clean and trim vegetables and cut into bite size pieces.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a baking dish
- Layer the vegetable in the dish with half the cheese.
- Pour the bechamel over the vegetable to cover.
- Top with remaining cheese and season to taste.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until vegetable is tender and the dish is golden on top.