Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
My mom and dad love this for breakfast. Very nutritious and keeps your stomach filled until lunch time. This also makes a good snack for a picnic or otherwise.
Top Review by Sana
Thanks for the recipe Charishma. I had heard that people make vermicelli upma and tried it on my own once and it was a disaster. I didnt know that you need to cook the vermecilli separately :) I didnt add the vegetables as my husband doesnt like any kind of veggies in his upma. Still turned out great
- 2 cups vermicelli
- 1 medium carrot, scraped,washed and cut into quarter inch sized cubes
- 6 French beans, washed and cut into quarter inch sized cubes
- 1 small cauliflower, washed and cut into small florets
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, washed and slit
- 1 medium red capsicum, washed,de-seeded and cut into quarter inch sized cubes
- 6 curry leaves, washed
- 1⁄4 cup green peas, washed and boiled
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons black gram, split (urad dal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add a little salt.
- Boil the carrots, beans and cauliflower in it for 10 minutes.
- Keep aside.
- Boil vermicelli in 5 cups of water with salt to taste and 2 tbsps.
- of oil till slightly underdone.
- Refresh under cold water.
- Keep aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add black urad dal, chopped ginger and onion.
- Saute until the onion turns light brown.
- Add green chillies.
- Add the cooked peas, carrots, beans, cauliflower, capsicum and salt.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked vermicelli.
- Stir gently.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Squeeze lemon juice over it.
- Serve hot for breakfast!