Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I liked this recipe very much...it was healthy, easy comfort food. The next time I make it, I may sautee the mushrooms before adding to the casserole (for some reason, they still seemed a bit raw-ish). Apart from that, I wouldn't change anything. I bet it would work well with grain substitutions, though (maybe quinoa?). Thanks for sharing...this recipe was enjoyable, and helped me clean out some things that had been languishing in my pantry, too.
- 1 (18 7/8 ounce) canready-to-serve lentil soup (vegetarian)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄3 cup bulgur
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in the water.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until the barley and bulgur are tender, stirring twice.
- Stir again; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.