Recipe by mamadelogan
I came up with this recipe in an effort to get my husband to eat more vegetables and this has become one of his favorite meals. This pairs well with mashed potatoes. If you wanted to make this extra healthy you could replace the bread crumbs with oatmeal.
Top Review by CabbageHeadMurphy
I'm a hug fan of this recipe!I was looking for quick/easy way to have a healthy dinner and this is the ticket!! I've made several times now and my husband and I can eat it all week long. It makes about 6 servings for us. I add paprika and parsley to boost flavor. I've also added a bit of sage before too. The herbs give it an extra kick. I've substituted mushrooms for carrots, just to mix it up a bit. I've never added the sour cream and it still turns out excellent every time. Thank you!
- 20 ounces ground turkey (I use a 85/15 mix if you use leaner ground turkey you might want to increase the sour cream to 1/3cu)
- 2 carrots (medium sized and diced finely)
- 1 celery (large finely diced)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed of all its excess juices)
- 1⁄2 larage onion (finely diced, I use Spanish onions)
- 4 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I use Italian seasoned)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper (I find 3/4 tsp of kosher salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper works best for us)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place diced carrots, celery, thawed spinach, 1/2 onion in a large pan with 3TB of olive oil over medium heat. Add 1/4 tsp of kosher salt and saute for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes . Remove pan from heat and let cool. (This step is optional, I have made this meat loaf skipping this step but I find sauteing the vegetables brings out the flavors).
- Meanwhile add ground turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, sour cream , salt and pepper to a large bowl.
- Add saute vegetables to the bowl of the rest of ingredients and mix well to combine. Pour into a prepared baking loaf pan( I find that baking spray with a little flour works best for an easy release).
- Bake at 325 for 1hr 15- 30 minutes on last oven rack ( cover with foil the last 15- 30 minutes of cooking if it gets to brown on top and you don't like a crust).