Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love tempura in any fashion! Not listed in the ingredients here but is one of my favorites is sweet potatoes (or yams). The tempura flour can be found in the Asian section of most big grocery chains. I have found that the ice cubes is absolutely necessary. If you don't use it, I guarantee that the results will not be as expected!
For the Tempura batter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups tempura flour
- 2 cups water
- ice cube
For the vegetables
- 1 piece bok choy
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 quart canola oil
For the Tofu chili dipping sauce
- 1⁄2 lb soft tofu
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- Cut vegetables into finger-size pieces, the carrot pieces need to be a little bit thinner (because carrots take longer to cook).
- Mix tempura flour, with egg and water, add a small amount of ice.
- Heat up the frying oil. To check temperature drip a little bit of batter into the oil, if the batter sinks and then slowly float up and gets a nice golden brown crispy texture, it's ready to go.
- Dip vegetable pieces in tempura mixture then place in oil. Vegetables are done when they are a golden brown color and have a crispy texture; will cook about 2 to 3 minutes, carrots may take a little longer than other vegetables.
- Remove vegetables from oil with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to cool.
- For the Tofu chili dipping sauce:.
- Put tofu, egg yolk and sambal oalek in a blender. Start blender and slowly add oil in a steady stream. If you find the sauce too thick, add some water. Salt and pepper to taste.