Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
So easy and healthier than regular fried foods. Try any vegetables, these are just my personal favorite for tempura. Itadakimatsu! (bon apetit!)
- 1 cup water, COLD (its very important that it's cold!)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil (1/2 may be needed)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced in disks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and sliced in disks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 onion, sliced in disks (about 4)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into disks (about 8)
- Mix the salt, flour, and water together until smooth and no lumps. (Use cold because it helps the batter/veggies absorb less oil).
- Place in freezer.
- Prepare vegetables by peeling and slicing.
- Pour the oil into a pan and heat over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, dip veggies in batter then oil.
- Fry until lightly browned.
- Do small amounts at a time. It will be less messy and much easier to manage.
I've never had tempura so I can't judge the authenticity but DD and I really enjoyed this. My veggies must have been bigger than the ones used to calculate the recipe as I had to make a 2nd batch of batter. This made a lot so we're hoping that the veggies can be reheated in the oven. Made for Unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game.