Recipe by hipbonez
So easy and healthier than regular fried foods. Try any vegetables, these are just my personal favorite for tempura. Itadakimatsu! (bon apetit!)
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
I've never had tempura so I can't judge the authenticity but DD and I really enjoyed this. My veggies must have been bigger than the ones used to calculate the recipe as I had to make a 2nd batch of batter. This made a lot so we're hoping that the veggies can be reheated in the oven. Made for Unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game.
- 1 cup water, COLD (its very important that it's cold!)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil (1/2 may be needed)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced in disks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and sliced in disks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 onion, sliced in disks (about 4)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into disks (about 8)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the salt, flour, and water together until smooth and no lumps. (Use cold because it helps the batter/veggies absorb less oil).
- Place in freezer.
- Prepare vegetables by peeling and slicing.
- Pour the oil into a pan and heat over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, dip veggies in batter then oil.
- Fry until lightly browned.
- Do small amounts at a time. It will be less messy and much easier to manage.