Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a slightly different stuffing, very tasty and if you don't eat fowl just have it as a side dish. This recipe is enough for 4 Cornish hens but if you are just cooking two put the rest of the stuffing in an oven proof dish and heat for about 25 minutes. In this way you can accommodate your vegetarians friends as well.
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup leek, cleaned and finely chopped (white end only)
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, fresh crumbs
- In a large skillet cook the carrots, celery, leeks, mushrooms & onion in the 2 tbsp of butter (margarine) for about 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper.
- Mix bread crumbs with the veggies.
- Cool mixture before stuffing birds.
This really hit the spot. Served with grilled chicken breasts, so baked in a casserole. And had more leeks than called for, so subbed them for the onion. Very tasty - I liked that the veggies were the major part of the dish, rather than the bread. Thanks!
We had cornish hens for Christmas dinner. The vegetable stuffing was very tasty and was enjoyed by everyone. I did use white stuffing loaf cut into cubes instead of the whole wheat crumbs and probably used more like 5 slices but we had 6 hens to stuff so adjusted the vegetables as well. Will use again.