1/3 Photos of Vegetable Stuffed Fennel Bulbs
------This is an elegant side dish. The wonderful flavor of the fennel adds a special taste to the other vegetables. Perfect recipe to compliment that special dinner party. If you want to take a short cut for your everyday dinner- Instead of steaming the fennel stalk ends chop up 1/3 cup of the stems and stir fry with the other vegetables. The chopped fennel takes a while to cook so start with the stems then add the tomatoes, carrots and the rest. Serve the shortcut version over rice. The chopped fennel is not as attractive as the whole stuffed stalk. Save some of the fern like tops for a garnish.------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head fennel, cleaned, stalks separated, cut off a 4-inch piece from 4 stalks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or 1/3 cup white wine
- 1Steam the 4" pieces over water for 15 minutes or until they are just beginning to soften, They should still be crisp. Set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile heat the oil in a large fry pan- add the shredded carrots, onion, tomato, mushrooms and garlic.
- 3Saute for apprx 6 minutes.
- 4Add salt & pepper to taste.
- 5Sprinkle in the pepper flakes (if using).
- 6Mix Soy Sauce & brown sugar, add to the vegetables. Simmer for apprx 6 minutes or until the soy has evaporated.
- 7Cut a very thin slice from the underside of each fennel stalk, Do not cut through it just take enough off so they can sit upright.
- 8Place stalks open side up in a shallow baking dish.
- 9Stuff apprx 3 tbsp of the vegetable mixture in each bulb.
- 10You may make the recipe up to this point and finish the last step 20 minutes before dinner.
- 11Pour the wine or chicken stock around the stuffed bulbs, cover with foil and bake in a 350 degee oven for 20 minutes.
- 12Garnish with green top on the plates.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Stuffed Fennel Bulbs
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.4
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 1075.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g