Recipe by breezermom
A different version of strudel! This phyllo pastry envelopes a cheese and vegetable mixture! I've always loved broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, and this recipe takes it to another dimension. Feel free to add more garlic or spice if so inclined! Keep the phyllo covered with a slightly damp towel until you are ready for it to keep it from getting brittle! Originally written by Bethe Pilch from Encino, CA.
Top Review by helowy
We all really enjoyed this (well everyone but Mr. Picky, but he wouldn't even try it, so he doesn't count). I used 3.5 cups of a frozen mix of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots that I defrosted and chopped. I also sauteed some chopped onion w/ the garlic in a little olive oil and added that to the chopped veggies. Left out the tarragon b/c I didn't have any, and I used olive oil instead of butter for health reasons. I ended up making two smaller strudels from the filling, and baked them for 25 minutes. It went nicely with a roasted chicken, but would easily stand alone as a vegetarian main course.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (6 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli, chopped and cooked
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped and cooked
- 1 cup carrot, chopped and cooked
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- melted butter or margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Work with 1 sheet of phyllo at a time (keep remaining sheets covered with a slightly damp towel), Place 1 phyllo sheet on an ungreased baking sheet. Lightly brush with butter. Layer 5 more sheets of phyllo on top, brushing each sheet with butter. Spread vegetable mixture over phyllo to within 2 inches of edge. Place remaining sheet of phyllo over mixture. fold edges over twice to seal. Fold in half lengthwise; brush with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and serve.