Recipe by veraj9170
Since my mom is diabetic, I bought the Joslin Diabetes Cookbook. This is one of the recipes that I make. It has a nice buttery crust and crisp veggie center. Very nice. NOTE: You'll also need OLIVE OIL COOKING SPRAY AND BUTTER-FLAVORED COOKING SPRAY. The ingredients will not let me place it.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Great vegetarian dinner! Goes together quickly too. Four stars because the filling was way too much - I ended up leaving most of the zucchini out - and because the cooked veggies should have been well drained, I didn't drain them and when I took the strudel out the bottom was all wet, which I didn't find pleasing. Tasted great and I'd make again using just one zucchini and draining the cooked veggies.
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) portabella mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 10 baby spinach leaves, stems removed, washed, and dried
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, zucchini and mushroom. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in basil, pepper and salt (if using). Set aside and cool.
- Lay a sheet of filo on a work surface and lightly coat with butter flavored spray; top with a second sheet. Continue until you have 6 layers, lightly spraying each sheet.
- Place the spinach along one short edge of the filo, leaving about 1 1/2 inches empty around the spinach on each side and the bottom. Sprinkle grated cheese over the spinach. Top with the cooled veggies. Fold the short edge over the veggies and fold the long edges. Roll the filo and filling over onto itself to form a strudel roll. Place seam side down on a nonstick baking pan.
- Spray the strudel with butter spray and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.