This recipe came from an issue of Canadian Living (Holiday Best). It's great as a side dish or a main vegetarian course. I'll inevitably use more butter and bread crumbs than is called for, but you may get away with less. It helps to have an assistant standing by when rolling up the strudel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green only)
- 1 -2 red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons marjoram or 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 ounces spinach, shredded (approx. 2 packages)
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese or 8 ounces chevre cheese
- 16 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook leeks, garlic, red peppers, spices, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- 2Add spinach in batches, adding more when wilted; cook, stirring over medium-high heat until all spinach is wilted and liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- 3In a large bowl, beat eggs and cheese until smooth; stir into spinach mixture. Set aside.
- 4Place 1 sheet of phyllo, with long side closest, on damp towel on work surface, keeping remainder covered with another damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with some of the butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat layering with 7 more sheets, for a total of 8.
- 5Arrange half of the spinach mixture in a strip 2 inches from the long side of the phyllo, leaving a 2 inch border at each short side. Fold long border over filling; using the towel as an aid, roll up pastry, folding in the sides.
- 6Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush top and sides with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to make 2 strudels.
- 7Cut 5 slits in top of each strudel. Bake in oven at 400F (200C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 8Slice each strudel into 6 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.3 mg
- Sodium 357.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 6.6 g