Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 5 slices white bread, buttered generously on one side
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cut bread into ½ inch cubes and distribute evenly in pan.
- Top with cheese.
- Toss vegetables together and distribute over cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pour over vegetables.
- Chill, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- Sprinkle basil and pepper to taste over strata.
- Put in larger baking pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up sides.
- Bake in middle of oven for 1 hour, or until top is golden.
Very easy-to-make light dish for a very busy day. This was so easy to put together and stick in the frig and pop it in the oven at the end of the day. We served it with a tossed salad for a complete light supper. Thanks Evelyn for sharing this simple-to-make dish.
I give the recipe four stars for ease and general yumminess, but three stars for freezer-friendliness, just because it was a little crispy on the outside and gummy on the inside I guess from thawing so long. (I say this becausze I've made non-frozen stratas and didn't have this probem) I actually expected it to work better since you have to let it sit in the fridge for 12 hours or so anyway. I thawed it in the fridge for a day, then baked covered in the oven for about an hour and 15minutes before uncovering and baking 15 minutes more. Great use of leftovers, but not my first choice for freezing.