Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is the perfect base for many meatless soups and stews. Store portions in your freezer for up to 3 months. From Better Homes and Gardens Crockery Cookbook.
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut up
- 4 medium carrots, cut up
- 1 turnip, cut up
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, cut up
- 1 medium potato, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- In a 3 1/2, 4, or 5 quart crockery cooker combine the tomatoes, onions, carrots, turnip, celery, potato, garlic, parsley, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in the water.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Strain stock through a large sieve or colander lined with 2 layers of 100% cotton chessecloth.
- Discard the solids.
- Makes 6 cups stock.