Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is the perfect base for many meatless soups and stews. Store portions in your freezer for up to 3 months. From Better Homes and Gardens Crockery Cookbook.
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut up
- 4 medium carrots, cut up
- 1 turnip, cut up
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, cut up
- 1 medium potato, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- In a 3 1/2, 4, or 5 quart crockery cooker combine the tomatoes, onions, carrots, turnip, celery, potato, garlic, parsley, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in the water.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Strain stock through a large sieve or colander lined with 2 layers of 100% cotton chessecloth.
- Discard the solids.
- Makes 6 cups stock.