Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 yellow onions, unpeeled,chopped
- 5 large carrots, unpeeled,chopped
- 2 large parsnips, unpeeled,chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni, fresh
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole
- 3 liters water
- Preheat oven to 415 F, (210 C) Heat oil in a large baking dish.
- add the onions, carrots, parsnips& toss to coat in oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Transfer baked vegetables to large heavy-based pan.
- Add celery, bay leaves& bouquet garni, the peppercorns, and the water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat& simmer, uncovored, for about an hour, until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Strain liquid through a large sieve lined with cheesecloth.
- Discard vegetables.
- Allow to cool.
- Remove the fat that has settled on the top.