Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very good vegetable stock for low sodium leave out the salt. Very nice base I put it in everything.
- 3 stalks celery & leaves
- 1 leek
- 1 summer squash
- 3 carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled crushed
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, stems from
- 2 yellow onions, unpeeled
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 12 cups water
- Wash all the vegetables well, especially the leek.
- Cut the celery, leek, squash, and carrots into chunks about 2 inches long.
- Put all the ingredients in a big pot.
- Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Skim off and discard any sediment that foams to the top.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or longer, (the longer, the stonger).
- Discard the vegetables, strain the stock through a cheesecloth and freeze for up to 4 months.