Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe posted by request-basic but good!
- 1 leek, trimmed and washed slice the white part,reserve the green part (get out the sand)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 1 large bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- Open the reserved green tops of leeks and stuff in the fresh herb sprigs-tie off.
- In a large stock pot add all the ingredients except the pepper and salt.
- Turn heat to medium and bring ingredients to a simmer-turn down to medium low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes-skim off any foam.
- Add the peppercorns and simmer, partially covered for 90 minutes.
- Line a colander with 2 layers of damp cheesecloth.
- Strain into a large clean bowl.
- Toss out the veggies.
- Taste stock and adjust with salt.
- This will keep in the freezer for 6 months.