Recipe by MARIA MAC *
This is a Rachael Ray recipe, but my mom has made this for years. We love this in the summer with all the fresh veggies from the garden.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
Very nice stew. made it just as stated. It inspires me to experiment. Adding beans, maybe chicken, broccoli, peas, string beans, lots of possibilities here. Will certainly make again. Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Spring '08.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf (10 to 12 leaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil, bay, chopped garlic and onions and let them sweat out while you prepare the rest of the veggies.
- Work next to the stove and drop as you chop, in order of longest cooking time: potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and add tomatoes and stock and cook 5 minutes more, to heat through.
- Turn heat off and stir in basil.