Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
I am sorry but I cannot remember which magazine I got this recipe from. They are amazing and present so well when entertaining. I grill the vegetables the day before, and assemble on the day I am serving. I warm them in the oven. Also I have used the broiler to prepare the vegetables instead of the barbecue.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 12 slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in 24 slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 3 medium red onions, cut in 12 slices (1/3 inch thick)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in 6 slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut in 6 slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat BBQ and set on LOW. Brush vegetables with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill slowly until tender, turning once. They will only need about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the vegetables to a tray, arranging them in a single layer, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. You can stack layers of the vegetables on top of each other with a layer of plastic wrap between; just be sure the vegetables have cooled first. The vegetables may be grilled a day in advance, and refrigerated after cooking. Bring the vegetables back to room temp before proceeding.
- Stir together the ricotta, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place one slice of eggplant on a lightly oiled baking sheet or foil pan. Spread one tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the eggplant. Cover with 2 slices of zucchini, 1 slice of onion, 1 slice of mozzarella, 1 slice of tomato, 2 slices of zucchini, and 1 slice of onion. Spread 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the onion, and top with another slice of eggplant. Repeat this procedure with the remaining vegetables to make 5 more stacks.
- Insert a wooden skewer through the centre of each stack to create a hole from top to bottom. Remove the bottom leaves from each rosemary sprig, leaving one inch of leaves on the top. Insert 1 sprig into the centre hole in each stack and return to the BBQ. Heat for about 5 minutes on Low or until mozzarella is melted and vegetables are warmed through.