Recipe by Fancy Nance
I created this recipe after MANY attempts at creating a cabbage based spring roll. I serve it with purchased sweet chili sauce, or with this sauce I requested from a friend who owns a Chinese restaurant.
For the Spring rolls
- 1 (10 ounce) bagangel hair cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package spring rolls or 1 (12 ounce) package lumpia skins
For Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 dried red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- For Rolls: Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. If you let it sit for a few minutes, the salt will cause the cabbage to be easier to roll in the wrappers.
- Assemble the rolls. I prefer to use half a wrapper to make small spring rolls. I use about 1/3 cup mixture for a whole wrapper. Refer to the spring roll wrapper for assembly.
- To cook, deep fry in about 3 inches of oil at 375°F for 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- For sauce: Mix all ingredients. Let sit for a few minute to allow flavors age. or use your favorite dipping sauce.