Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
An easy and healthy vegetarian soup/main dish from the magazine, "Better Homes and Gardens". This is to be made in a crock-pot (slow cooker). I haven't tried it yet, but I think the corn dumblings would add a nice extra "something".
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash or 3 cups acorn squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained (such as great northern beans, cannellini, lima or navy beans)
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen Italian cut green beans or 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- For dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.).
My toddler, husband and I all loved this! Very good and easy!