Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Loads of vegetables with a nice tasting carrot dumpling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, and sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat baking mix
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cold water
- 10 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a dutch oven, cook the onions, carrots, and celery in oil for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the broth , potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth, and stir into vegetable mixture, bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cabbage and peas.
- FOR THE CARROT DUMPLINGS.
- In a small bowl, combine baking mix, carrots, and parsley.
- Stir in water until moistened, then drop in 10 mounds onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
- Garnish with cheese.
We enjoyed this soup. I omitted the flour/water slurry. I felt it would have just made this into a stew rather than a soup. I also chose not to use the cheese. The dumplings were enough. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag Game. :)