10 hrs 30 mins
for the love of veggies's Note:
I created this recipe when I had a lot of miscellaneous veggies that I wanted to be sure to use before they spoiled. The blend of herbs and peppers really brings out the flavor of this concoction!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, diced in juice
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup lemon basil (use fresh, keep leaves whole, do not chop)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1Place all ingredients in slow cooker except for rice.
- 2Stir to combine.
- 3Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- 4Add rice 1.5 hours before end of cooking time.
- 5This soup freezes very well and will keep up to six months.
- 6Cooking time includes longest time in slow cooker.
- 7NOTE: If you can't find lemon basil, regular fresh basil will do fine. However, I love the robust taste of lemon basil in this soup. It really makes a difference.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Soup With a Kick
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.2
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 927.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: