Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This soup was created on a lovely Saturday morning in June. Birds were chirping, the sky was bright and blue, and I was craving vegetables like a mad woman! The veggies in this soup are complimented by an assortment of herbs and spices and homemade vegetable broth. There are lots of onions in this soup...mmmm... Use a food processor to speed up preparation time. Cook time includes maximum time in slowcooker. Use a large 6 quart slowcooker to ensure all the veggies and pasta will fit!
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 small russet potato, diced (small pieces)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup shell pasta (or any other small-shaped pasta)
- Add all ingredients, except for pasta, to slow cooker in order above.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- One hour before soup is done, add pasta.
- This soup is extremely versitle.
- You can substitute almost any vegetable in this recipe for another and still get great results.
- For a richer soup, replace the water with broth for a total of 6 cups liquid.
- Substitute rice or wild rice for pasta.
- Add beans (red, black, or lima).
- The first time I made this, I used wacky-mac pasta, which is an assortment of different colored and shaped small pasta. It adds a nice color and variety to the soup.
- Some of the water cooks out and is absorbed by the pasta. Add more halfway through cooking, if desired.
- As is, this recipe makes about 6 two-cup servings.
This was okay and great for a low cal/low fat dinner. I used fresh oregano and fresh tarragon instead of the dried -- and maybe I didn't use enough. Thanks for posting.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who craves veggies to such an extent! :D This is a delicious way to serve them up! Thanks so very much!
Delicious! Thanks for posting. I love that it can be combined in my crockpot and ready to eat whenever my family is