Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A very nice hearty soup to come home to. Great to throw in the freezer and have it ready when you are!
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 cup pasta shells, your choice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large freezer bag combine all ingredients except pasta shells and grated cheese. Seal the bag, squeeze out as much air as possible.
- In a 1 quart freezer bag add the parmesan cheese, seal the bag.
- I choose to also add the pasta shells into a quart size baggie so I have everything in one place.
- Place the 3 filled bags and the printed recipe into a large freezer bag, seal.
- To cook; thaw.
- Pour veggie mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until veggies are tender.
- Add pasta to the mix during the last hour of cooking.
- Serve with grated parm cheese.
I'd never thought about using tomato juice before as part of the base, but it really turned out great. The flavors were wonderful. I've done two things with this recipe: I've made it as a veggie soup (sometimes adding kidney beans to make it more hearty) or I've added 1 1/2 lb italian sausage and made a "lasagna" soup. Both are really good. I also sometimes add a little red pepper to add some kick!
Wondeful veggie soup! Loaded with nutrients and flavor, but lowfat! I used vegetable (V-8) juice instead of tomato juice, and tossed in a handful of chopped cabbage, but otherwise made no changes. I did not do the freezing preperation..... I just put everything in the crockpot as I chopped it. The shell pasta wokds great, but I think alphabet pasta would be a fun shape to try next time. Thanx for sharing!
This recipe is really good and easy to prepare. I did the freezer preparation but I didn't give it enough time to thaw so I just threw it in the crock pot still kind of frozen and cooked for 7 hours on low. I was a little concerned the veggies would end up too soft but they were good. The pasta was a little over done for my taste though (I used elbow macaroni) so I think next time I will add it 30 min before serving. I also added 1 can of cannelini beans for protein.