Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I have not tried this yet, but it is on my menu in the next two weeks. This is another Joanna Lund recipe. So the preparation time will be an estimate. Only 240 calories per serving. Diabetic Exchanges are: 2 Vegetable, 2 Protein and 1 Starch. Only 544 mg of Sodium.
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey or 8 ounces beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced and drained (2.5 ounce)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 3 cups potatoes, frozen shredded loose-packed (10 ounces)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray and 8-by8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown meat.
- Spoon browned meat into prepared baking dish. Layer onion, cabbage, mushrooms, carrots and potatoes over top.
- In a small bowl, combine mushroom soup, skim milk and parsley flakes.
- Spoon soup mixture evenly over vegetables.
- Cover and bake for 60 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- Uncover, sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly over top, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Place on baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 4 servings.
When I was putting the recipe together, I didn't think it would turn out well. The soup barely covered the dish and I thought it would be dry. It wasn't! This was a nice, light, low-cal (225 calorie) dish. The cooking times listed in the recipe were correct.