Recipe by JenSmith
I made this recipe up the other day for dinner. Serve it with corn bread for a simple and tasty meal.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (reserve the leaves)
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup lettuce or 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 6 -8 cups chicken broth or 6 -8 cups stock, fat removed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, celery,bell pepper, carrots and garlic and cook, covered, until almost tender, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add lettuce or cabbage and sweat (cover the pan) for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, covered.
- Add chicken broth or stock, herbs and spices, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, then simmer for about 1 to 1 1/4 hour, until carrots and celery are very tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add wine if desired. Remove from heat.
- Serve with cornbread or corn muffins.
- This soup freezes very well. Chill thoroughly before freezing.