Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I clipped this recipe from a magazine years ago and it is one of the best vegetable soups I've ever eaten. I don't make it as often as I'd like because it takes a lot of time to prepare and cook but the final result is well worth the effort.
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 5 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 turnip, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 1 meaty soup bone
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green beans, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh yellow beans, diced
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chervil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients (except for the green and yellow beans) in a large soup pot.
- Cover with water and simmer very slowly, all day, if possible.
- Add the beans at the last so that they stay crisp.
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh chives or parsley.
This soup is fine, but I don't believe it's worth the long cooking time. It's somewhat bland tasting. I am partial to another recipe that I found on recipezaar.com. It's the Garden Vegetable soup. That one take much less time and I personally think it tastes much better.
very easy to make a lot of preparation but well worth the end result. Have to admit I omited celery as I don't like it but still very flavoursome.