Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is so good on a cold winter day! No bought soups come close to the wonderful taste of homemade soups! This recipe comes from my Mennonite Country-Style Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs hamburger, browned and drained
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups peas or 2 cups green beans
- 1⁄2 cup rice or 1⁄2 cup macaroni, cook until tender
- 1 cup canned tomatoes or 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Combine ingredients from hamburger to peas in a large saucepan and cook for 25-30 or until tender.
- Add rest of ingredients except for cornstarch and water. Heat to boiling again.
- Dissolve cornstarch and water and add, stirring until thickened.