Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another family favorite....this is our neighbor's favorite too...they brought all the veggies and watch me made the soup....not going so far..here it goes
- 10 okra (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 celery (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 1⁄2 of a medium cabbage (cut into small pieces)
- 5 carrots (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 medium potatoes (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- In a big pot pour the oil and saute the garlic for 2 minute.
- add the cut vegetables, seasonings and saute for 2 more minutes add the water.
- wash the rice and add the rice to the soup.
- stir occasionally until boiled.
- turn down the stove and simmer for 20 minutes.
First words out of my honey's mouth were "where's the meat?", I asked him to please try it & let me know what he thought & his opinion was pretty even with mine. This needed something, it was very salty and just missing a fullness of flavor so we rooted through the fridge & found some kielbasa, chopped, heated & added it in which completely changed it up & made it much better. I realize the whole idea is for vegetable soup but we had to do something as this just wasn't working for us. Even with the change my honey said 'better, but I still don't want it again'. It could be the cajun spice I used, I don't know - I used Tony' Chacher's cajun spice. Needless to say I would definitely eliminate the salt all together as it was over the top, the Tony Chacher's was pretty salty to begin with. Sorry a keralite, I really tried to like this but it's a wash for us. Made for PAC 2008