Recipe by a keralite
Another family favorite....this is our neighbor's favorite too...they brought all the veggies and watch me made the soup....not going so far..here it goes
Top Review by Babychops
First words out of my honey's mouth were "where's the meat?", I asked him to please try it & let me know what he thought & his opinion was pretty even with mine. This needed something, it was very salty and just missing a fullness of flavor so we rooted through the fridge & found some kielbasa, chopped, heated & added it in which completely changed it up & made it much better. I realize the whole idea is for vegetable soup but we had to do something as this just wasn't working for us. Even with the change my honey said 'better, but I still don't want it again'. It could be the cajun spice I used, I don't know - I used Tony' Chacher's cajun spice. Needless to say I would definitely eliminate the salt all together as it was over the top, the Tony Chacher's was pretty salty to begin with. Sorry a keralite, I really tried to like this but it's a wash for us. Made for PAC 2008
- 10 okra (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 celery (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 1⁄2 of a medium cabbage (cut into small pieces)
- 5 carrots (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 medium potatoes (cut into 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big pot pour the oil and saute the garlic for 2 minute.
- add the cut vegetables, seasonings and saute for 2 more minutes add the water.
- wash the rice and add the rice to the soup.
- stir occasionally until boiled.
- turn down the stove and simmer for 20 minutes.