charlie #5's Note:
Adapted from "Best of Gourmet 1994". We love this soup. Add whatever vegetables are in season. We've used kohlrabi, turnips, etc. Unsure yields/times. Good with crusty bread and butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb lean bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 celery rib, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb potato, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 zucchini, seeded, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (16 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 lb kale, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1In a large pot, cook the bacon and/or ground meat until done. Salt and pepper the meat if necessary. Add some dry oregano and basil to taste. Remove the meat.
- 2If there aren't enough drippings in the pan, add olive oil and saute the onion, carrot, and celery. Add in the potato. Stir in the garlic for a minute. Again, season the vegetables with the salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- 3Add to the pot the zucchini, green beans, cabbage, kale, tomatoes, corn and chicken broth. Add the meat to the pot. Simmer the soup covered for an hour.
- 4Puree the white beans with a little of the liquid from the can until a paste is formed. Whisk this into the soup. Let cook for about 15 minutes more to thicken.
- 5Just prior to serving soup, stir in about 1/2 C Parmesan. It will stick to the spoon and clump if not careful.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (846 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.9
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.7 mg
- Sodium 813.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 33.9 g