Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This one is easy to make as it is done in a slow cooker. It is both hearty and filling.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Mix together all the ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH 8-9 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and discard; serve with warm crusty bread.
Delicious veggie soup. I made on stove top and was done in about 35-45 minutes. Cut the tomatoes to one can and added cabbage and okra. Also cut back on the thyme (I don't like to much, is to overpowering flavor for me). Was out of frozen corn but it wasn't missed. This made a big batch of soup and tasted great on a winter day. I imagine it will taste even better next day after flavors meld overnight. Thanks for another great recipe NurseDi.
I made this for my family and then another batch for my sister-in-law but with some changes. I added a lb. of ground beef and some smoked sausage (because my hubby would probably leave me if it only had veggies lol). I also added some cayenne pepper and more of the basil and thyme because it seemed a little bland to me and needed a kick. =o) My family enjoyed it and my sister-in-law's family absolutely LOVED it. Will make again with the above mentioned changes! Thanks for sharing!